Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Grandmother

My Grandmother on her Wedding Day 

My Grandmother turned 99 on Sunday and then decided that was enough.   

She turned 99 and then passed on to whatever is next.  

Literally, metaphorically, metaphysically, spiritually... and, well, everything else. For a woman who decided to stop "getting older" 30 years ago, this was quite the statement.

To go out 99 years to the day that you came in is ridiculous. 

To make it to 99 is ridiculous!

There are so many funny memories that could be shared about this woman, but some of my favorite memories sync up nicely with this little adventure I've been on.  

And these memories are of phone calls we had when I was on other advetures.   Having never made it out of the country herself, we had hilariously crazy (because my Grandmother had a knack for inserting randomness into otherwise straightforward topics) conversations from Buckingham Palace, the top of Teotihuacan,  Plaza Mayor in Madrid, the Eiffel Tower, the Grote Markt in Brussels, St. Peter's in Rome, among others.

She would always ask some specific questions about what I was doing and what the countries were like, before somehow steering the conversations to how I could be calling from whatever location I was in.  And, inevitably, about her uncertainty over whether technology was a good thing or not.   Every. Single. Time.

Given her health we didn't have those conversations on this adventure. But I'd like to think that if she had been able to read this thing, it might have swayed her opinion of technology once and for all. 

Grandma, I hope you had a nice Birthday Dinner with Grandpa.  After 41 years or so, it must've been awesome to see each other again.  Have fun, you two.  Lots to catch up on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip