Sunday, January 20, 2013

100 Days Later...




In the death of a friend, we should consider that the fates through confidence have devolved on us the task of a double living, that we have henceforth to fulfill the promise of our friend's life also, in our own, to the world.”
- Thoreau

…I begin again. 

The same port of departure.  A different destination. A different person. 

It has been a long few weeks and a fast few months.  But today was a beautiful day.  Got to spend time with family, friends and see Barrett's Mom and Brother in Boston before I took off.

There aren’t many words to sum up the experience of the first 100 days.  To put it mildly, there have been ups and downs.  Big ones of both.

I’ve said all along that I didn’t leave looking for anything in particular.  I wasn’t looking for an answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.  (It’s 42.  Duh.)  

But, as I get set to begin again, I can’t help but think there are other plans in store.

I wasn’t supposed to be here now.  But I am.  It has been weird, nice and sad.   This shouldn't have happened.  It has been crazy and weird. But it did.  

And it will color the trip, and me, differently. It already has and will more once I deal with it all.  

The next chapters of this adventure will include more twists and turns and they will mean something a little different now.  There is a hole that won't be filled inside, but there is unfinished business out there.  And I know he'll be with me the whole way, just in a different form.

It has been both shitty and nice to celebrate his life -- to feel closer to him for a little while -- and now the celebration will continue through living mine and getting back on the road to fulfill this dream that he had a hand in inspiring.  I guess that will be the real "tribute".  

Tonight, I fly from Boston to Zurich.  Tomorrow, I’ll spend the day exploring “Downtown Switzerland” before crashing and waking up early to catch my onward flight to Mumbai, India and APAC until the end of June (give or take).  I’m excited for this next chapter and excited to be meeting up with friends and family at a few points along the way.

To those of you reading this, thank you for your kind words in the wake of recent events.  It's been nice to hear your stories of him.  And thank you being a part of my story.   I have to say it is really cool, and somewhat overwhelming, to know that you all have viewed the page 5000+ times in the last 100 days.  

I’ll try to keep the interest going!

But to do that, I first have to go.  And, hard as it may be, I’m off.  

Love you guys and see you again soon!



Oh, and two more things:

1.     Go Pats! I wouldn’t mind the chore of finding a place to watch the Super Bowl in India.
2.     Good Luck to President Obama on the beginning of his second, first 100 days tomorrow.  We need progress.  Let’s hope he helps us find some.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip