Friday, May 24, 2013

The Great Ocean Road


Welcome to the Great Ocean Road, Southern Victoria, Australia. 

The road is officially the world's largest war memorial and was built in between 1919 and 1932 as a tribute to the soldiers who fought and died in World War One. 

I think that Australia has to have the most helpful road signage in the world.  First, there are heaps of them.  You can't go a klick without seeing one of some sort.  Second, their information ranges from which side of the road to drive on, to telling you to take a power nap if you're tired, to getting your smoke detectors checked, to various wildlife that may be seen crossing the road in the vicinity (despite the warnings, I saw none.).

The drive winds around the coast of Australia south of Melbourne for about 300K.  So, needless to say there is a lot of water and beaches along the way. 

There are heaps of Lighthouses on the coast, but it hasn't stopped it from getting the nickname "Shipwreck Coast" on account of the more than 638 known wrecks that have occurred here. 


If there had been internet, I was going to send this to you all as a "Happy Monday" post with a wish for luck.  Now all I can do is wish you luck!

A place called Parker's Inlet.  Nothing fabulous about it other than its name, of course. 



The most celebrated stop is the Twelve Apostles (though really there are only 8 left due to the constant erosion):



It's odd that it is the second version of the Twelve Apostles that I've seen and neither has actually had twelve (the one in Cape Town has 17 or something like that).   I wonder how many more of these there are in the world?  New bucket list item!

Anyway, I took a load of pictures, so I could keep posting for days.  I think you get the idea though.

I think the Garden Route in South Africa was better as a drive.  But they didn't have Koalas and Kangaroos.   So, maybe it is a same-same, but different thing.  Either way, I still really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip