Thursday, June 13, 2013

Parker vs. the Volcano

There is actually a Volcano in this story.  But it's been awhile so you'll have to wait to get to that part.  Nothing is terribly exciting, but I figure you all miss me and I have some pretty pictures to share.

First off, I again have access to my (dwindling) fortune.  A HUGE debt of gratitude to Miss Amy Bell for helping me out and for the incredible hospitality while in Santiago!

Next, the adventure of speaking Spanish is off to an amusing start.  I've quickly learned that there is very little that is as humbling as learning a language.  Last week, I took a "Super Intensive Class" in Santiago and we had a great time with our respective struggles.


The language is coming a long.  I understand it pretty well and when I speak I'm getting by.  Though, "getting by" might be stretching it, for instance, when I don't know how to say what I need to, I generally try to patch the words I know together to approximate.  This behavior is more or less encouraged/suffered, I think, because of the absurdities that could follow.  I've called a sleeping bag a "bolsa de sueños' (bag of dreams), remembered the word for butter - but not the words to direct a taxi. etc. etc.  I'm told I have a good vocabulary, and I'm trying.  But, after 3 weeks, I have to say that I'm confident at this point I'll be much better at the end of my tour in South America, but likely still not very good.  We'll see.  Maybe if I really do get a bag of dreams, it will help...

Anyway, as another week comes closer to closing I'll catch you up on the adventure since I left Santiago.  After a long overnight bus last Friday night I arrived on the lovely islands of Chiloé.  It was ridiculously cold and quite rainy for my time there, but I made a go of it.

The city of Ancud, a sleepy little fishing town with an old Spanish Fort. 

Certainly one of the most colorful churches I've ever seen and it was quite a surprise walking inside to a completely wooden interior with only woodgrain as the color. 

Los Palafitos


After Chiloé, I headed up in the lakes region of Chile.  The region is also a part of the Pacific Fire Belt, and the base of Volcano exploration is Pucón.

The Villarrica Volcano

The beginning of the ascent.  It looks so much closer than it was.  We didn't make it to the crater, due to high winds and ice, but it was still a magnificent view and a good, strenuous day on the mountain.

There are two other Volcanoes in the region and we got a good view of them above the clouds!  The close one is Lanín and the far one is Quetrupillán.  By some weird boundary marking, Lanin is in Argentina. 

One of the many lakes we could see from the mountain as well. 

The walk up is long, done with crampons, and at 50-60 degree slope.  The way down was much more fun.  Sliding down on the ol' keister!

In other news, I leave this evening for Santiago and to meet up with Megan, who is coming back for her second tour of duty here at Just 'Cuz It's Round.   A quick refresher on who Megan is courtesy of our friends at iPhoto:


Not sure what iPhoto is trying to say, but we'll be heading out to Valparaiso and Viña Del Mar and then up to the Atacama Desert and Bolivian Salt Flats over the next week or so.  Should be some weird and wild stuff coming to this venue soon.   

1 comment:

  1. Could we request a proper gut pic - I feel like it could be gettin nice and round, yeah?! Appropriate for the South American winter!

    ReplyDelete

Music From the Trip