Tuesday, February 5, 2013

En-Joy-pur

Greetings from Jaipur, India: 



Well, this is a bit different than the South.  For one it is cold(ish).  And, it is, as promised, much more “energetic” (read: crazy)

The first morning, the gent who ran the hotel arranged for an autorickshaw to take me around on a “highlights” tour of Jaipur.


As we left the hotel, I didn’t know exactly what to expect after so many conversations about what the North of India was like for friends who’ve been.  I can honestly say that I didn’t think I would’ve shared the road with Camels, Elephants, Pigs, Dogs, Mules, Goats, Monkeys and Cows by the end of the day. 

We went to the Amber (Amer) Fort, The “Water Palace”, Tiger Fort and a host of other things. 


Inside the Fort
I reloaded this photo because the original was crooked and it was bothering me.  It's still not perfect, but it is better.  Not sure why I'm admitting that.





Jal Mahal or "Water Palace"

Guides being guides...


Inside the Fort

We stopped along the way at a workers co-op, where they showed me the dyeing process (all natural – potatoes for beige, some leafy green for green, etc and so forth), explained their philosophy of one caste/one race/one human employment practices.  By that point, considerably taken by the story, they also relieved me of some Rupee in exchange for a scarf that was selling for half as much the next day.  Oh well, if it is true – then I feel good about it.  If it isn’t, then I’m not the first person to bite at their well-tailored story either.

The following day was a walk through the “Pink City” with two folks I met at the hotel.  Truth be told it is more of a muted burnt orange, but still a welcome sight in a city that is less than clean.  We walked through the metalwares section, the gold and silver smiths, the nuts and spices section, and of course the “key points” of interest: City Palace and Hawa Mahal.
City Palace


For my final day in Jaipur, I went with a couple from Tasmania to one of India’s National Parks, Ranthambore, in search of Tigers.  It was nice to get out of the city and drive through the countryside.  The towns are just as chaotic, but it was nice to see something different of Rajasthan.  

The park was the old hunting grounds of the Maharajas and the second largest fort in Rajasthan overlooks the entrance.  Like my other safari experiences, we saw a lot of deer-like creatures (Samba, Spotted Deer) as well as some Wild Boar, Crocodiles and various species of birds. Unfortunately, we didn’t see any tigers.  Because  I’m determined to get the Tigers AND the Bears, before this trip is out, the search will have to continue.  (oh my!)





I’m writing this from Agra, the home of the Taj Mahal.  I can see it in the distance from the rooftop of the hotel I’m staying at and tomorrow will be the full experience.

I can’t say India is the most beautiful place I've been, but it has it's moments.  The masses of people, loads of honking cars/motorcycles/rickshaws/bikes, the constant dickering over everything and, of course, lots and lots of “interesting” things that you pass by (i.e. most of the aforementioned animals rooting around for food in piles of garbage) all make up one of more interesting experiences of the trip so far though.

I’m excited to be here, have found it much less intense than billed, and am soaking in as much as I can.  The food is great and the colors are unbelievable (as well as a welcome sight in and amongst how dirty it can be here).  But, I also keep waiting for that moment to click where India “takes” me, as it has many of my friends who have been here.   And it just hasn’t happened yet.  I’ve got a bit more time before I have decide where to go before heading to Thailand at the beginning of March.  So, maybe it will happen and keep me here, or maybe I’ll push on to another port.  We’ll see.

In other news, I seem to have developed my first situation of the trip in the form nice little rash forming on my arm and both legs at the knees and ankles.  It doesn’t itch too badly and it doesn’t seem to be spreading places, but I’m hoping it doesn’t become a thing.  I’ll reach out to a friend of a friend in Delhi to get proper attention if it does.

this is from last night and it seems to be getting a little better today

In funnier news, I've been taking these little pink pills that I thought were Benadryl tablets to help.  Well, I realized at some point today that they aren't Benadryl Tablets.  They're Pepto Tablets.   So, that's something too. 




2 comments:

  1. Those palaces are crazy! Water one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was definitely the most unique one I saw too. While awesome/beautiful, I'd seen forts and palaces before. Never in a lake though!

    ReplyDelete

Music From the Trip