Monday, February 18, 2013

What I'm Listening To - Just 'Cuz It's Round Edition


This is the biggest Buddha I've ever seen at 40" and I just needed a picture for this post, so I'm going with it. 

So, for those who don't know, I used to send out an email to friends that highlighted a songs/albums/artists that I was "listening to".   Then, I got busy with work and then busy with work and planning this trip.  (I know, I know - *yawn*) 

Well, I haven’t done it in a long time. 

As I flew to Sri Lanka, I cranked up the first volume that I sent out several years ago for another play.  For those who may have play-listed it, I recommend going back to it.  There are some great tunes on there that I hadn’t heard in awhile.   And, since I can’t technically use my “busy-ness” as an excuse right now,  I thought I’d update you all on a few things I’ve been listening to on this adventure.  Some of it is new (I have to keep up!) and others older jams. 

The original format of WILT was a bit more detailed than I’ll get here and included music.  This will be more brief.  And you’ll have to do some work to get the music.  But, I have put it into a  a Spotify playlist, if you're into that kind of thing, that is at the bottom of the webpage so that's a little easier.

Anyway.   Without further ado, here's a small sample of what I've been listening to:


o   Stupid Things - Yo La Tengo 
§  My friend Madeleine has a Tumblr where she posts music frequently where I ran across this song.  It's awesome!

o    “Emmy Lou” – First Aid Kit
§  I thought I had heard this band and that I wasn’t a fan.  I can’t remember what prompted me to check them out again, but this song, and the album it is on, are fantastic.
o   “Electric Music” – Band of Horses
§  I like the whole album, but this song was the standout for me.
o   “Patches” – Clarence Carter
§  An old favorite.  Thanks, Krane, for introducing it to me.
o   “Sydney (I’ll Come Running)” – Brett Dennen
§  I think I may have included this in the last WILT, but I’m not sure.  Regardless, I still love it and listen to it a lot.
o   “Two Fingers” – Jake Bugg
§  My friend Jeff introduced me to this guy.  Bugg only has an EP, but hopefully his full length will be just as good.
o   “Actress” – Jim James
§  I love Jim James.  He’s a huge weirdo though and some that comes through on the new album. 
o   “Something Biblical” – Andrew Bird
o   “Dreamin’ Man” – Neil Young
§  One of the songs of our South Africa adventure.  So good.
o   “Me and Paul Revere” – Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers
§  I saw these guys, sans Steve, in NYC last year and really like their sound and attitude.  This song is just awesome.  And if you didn't know, Steve Martin is an insanely talented banjo player.
o    “Home Again” – Michael Kiwanuka
§  This guy has been around for a while, and I can’t remember who first introduced me to him, but I’m still listening to the album.
o   “The Pretender” – Jackson Browne (from Solo Acoustic Vol. 1)
§  I know it is probably his most popular song, but damn is it good on this album.  I can't find the right version, so you'll just have to go get it!
o   “1904” / “There’s No Leaving Now” – The Tallest Man on Earth
§  His voice is still one of the best I’ve ever heard.  If you can see him live.  Do it.
o   “Nancy From Now On” – Father John Misty
§  J Tillman, the former Fleet Foxes drummer, with latest album.  This video is a bit risque, but the song is great. 
o   “Dance Yourself Clean” – LCD Soundsystem
§  Old jam that never gets old.  Another one that was a theme song for our South Africa road trip.
o   “Simple Song” – The Shins
§  Well, it’s James Morrow, but the rest of the band has been swapped out.  Best Shins album in ages though.
o  Anything by Beruit (I've included "Scenic World" in the playlist) or Explosions in the Sky.  The perfect traveling music.

§  So, I’m not the world’s biggest Coldplay fan, but when Adam Y. passed  I thought this was a beautiful tribute and have listened to it here and there since.  It's a shame the Beatsies are no longer and it's no replacement for the original, but it does give me chills.   I don't know why.

That's all for now.  

Surprisingly, I don't have a lot of time to listen to music these days. Not having 1.5 hours of commuting time every day really puts a damper on that, as does trying to keep my wits about me on the buses and trains I've been taking.

The buses, however, always offer a great opportunity to hear the latest local pop music at full volume.  

So at least I have that going for me.   

Which is nice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip