Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Good Ol' Taj

Only let this one tear drop, 
this Taj Mahal glisten spotlessly bright
On the cheek of time for ever and ever...
- Oh king, you sought to harm time
with the magic of beauty and weave a garland
that would blend formless death with deathless form...
This mausoleum stand still and unmoving in its place
Here on this dusty earth
It keeps death tenderly covered in the shroud of memory.
- Rabindranath Tagore

Today, I got to visit the Taj Mahal in Agra, India.

First I was all like...


Then I was all like...

Awwww yeah!!!

Seeing something in person that you’ve only seen in pictures is always an interesting experience.   Some things live up to the hype and others do not (I’m lookin’ at you, Niagara Falls.  Thanks for taking us anyway, Mom.).

The Taj Mahal, something I’ve seen in pictures since I was 4 (or something like that), did not disappoint.   It was sooooo cool!





You can't take pictures inside the tomb, so that's why there are so many full monument shots. 

You all know the story about how this is the ultimate memorial to love.  Not being that sappy myself, it does have a powerful pull in that direction.   I can't imagine how profound the loss must have felt to have resulted in this, but I certainly appreciated it being in its midst today. 

2 comments:

  1. love the pics. your camera is great as is the eye behind it (and now I sound like a weirdo). Keep them coming. and Keep exploring please xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you?! In Delhi now, today was an administrative and rest day. Tomorrow the exploring begins anew, then onto Varanasi on Sunday for a few days before heading to Sri Lanka to see what the deal is with that place!

      Delete

Music From the Trip