Friday, July 26, 2013

Pumas, Avalanches, and Igloo Drinking

Patagonia, Santa Cruz Province, Argentina -


Tony started his long trek home this morning (10,000km) and I have a few hours until I start making my way north and to some warmth (hopefully)!

But first, I've got to update you on the week that was.   This place is awesome.  Can't be beat for scenery and middle-of-nowhereness.

Luckily, the notoriously fickle weather down here cooperated for the most part, allowing for an amazing experience.  (and some great photo and video opportunities)!

Of course the journey was also filled with fantastic meats (Patagonian Lamb, Beef Goulash, Lomo) and wines and beers.  But we'll stick to the scenery for now.

It's almost impossible to convey through the photos just how beautiful or massive this place is.   But, we'll start with some videos and then photos and end with some silliness...



On our way up to this photo op, we saw Puma tracks around our trail.  YIKES!

We saw an Avalanche on our first day in El Chaltén, in the midst of an approximately 10 mile hike.


Tony and the 4x5...  I'm looking forward to seeing the prints of that bad boy!

Lago Desierto - you can't see it here, but it was a milky blue color.  The coloring comes from what is called "Glacial Flour".

Tony and the 4x5 on the way to Lago Desierto

And, on our last full day, we went back to the glacier!  Damn, is it awesome!  I've got tons more photos of the thing that I'll cruise through and post in a follow up or on Tumblr.


Buzzard Eagles getting the best view possible!




To cap it all off, we went to an igloo to celebrate our luck with the weather and to drink from glacier cups!


Thanks to Tony for making the long journey South.   It was a helluva adventure!!  (Also, a big thanks to him for doing all the driving!  I swear I'm going to learn how to drive a stick-shift before I set out on another adventure.)  Finally a big thanks to Beth, Tony's wife, for letting him come down and play.

The little beater that took us almost 1000km around Patagonia!

I have to say that Argentina was an amazing time and I'll miss the food for sure, but it's time to get warm.  I'm heading north of the equator for the first time in 3 months to meet up with my friend Jeff in Medellin and Bogota, Colombia.  We'll check in from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip