Sunday, October 28, 2012

If there wasn't bulletproof glass, I'd kiss you...

I've made it to Africa. Arusha, to be exact. It is my first time south of the Equator and, of course, to Africa.

What a trip this place is!

But of course, there is a story!

It all started when I got to the airport in Istanbul and was informed that they couldn't issue my ticket because the Kenyan Gov't required a return ticket. And, of course, it needed to be a flight -- not the bus ticket I had for 18 hrs after landing in Nairobi.

*Cut sweat forming on my brow as they sent me to their booking agents on the other side of the terminal to sort it out.*

There I met with two incredibly helpful, sympathetic agents. One spoke no English, the other perfect. They informed me that the only solution to my "situation" was to buy a ticket and then call and cancel it. It would be a $150 penalty.

I was going to chalk it up to the travel gods just like I did a second pair of pants and another long sleeve back in Rhode Island. BUT - the non-english speaking woman had an idea!

She came back 15 mins later (of which I stood there looking like an idiot), with an even better plan. She talked to her travel agent friend and booked a dummy ticket.

Not only was my problem solved, but it didn't cost ANYTHING! When does that happen? Certainly not on a Friday night during a 5-day holiday weekend in Turkey (OR... Maybe that is the only time it happens?)

I told them I'd kiss them if it wasn't for the bulletproof glass separating us, but settled for a hand to the glass and I was off to my plane (this time sweating for real).

After a 10 hour layover in Saudi Arabia -- which, I gather, is an odd place for a gawky, white guy to be at any time of day, let alone the hours between 2am and 12pm -- I was off to Kenya, nervous that this little ruse wasn't going to work.

But, the Border Agent didn't even ask. Just gave me a smirk over putting "Professional Human" in my occupation box and told me I only had to pay for a transit visa vs. a single entry.

So, the way I see it, at this point I'm up $180 bucks.

After collecting my things and taking out 10,000 Shillings (I'm RIIIICH!); the driver the hotel sent, Jonas, insisted on giving me the tour of Nairobi because he felt bad I was only going to be here for 18 hours. The whole time I'm thinking that the nickname for this city is Nai-robbery, and kung-fu gripping my luggage (like it would've made a difference), but all went well. We even stopped to take pictures "to send home and prove that [I] was here".

(the building over my left shoulder is the tallest building in Nairobi and has the distinction of "not falling" (Jonas' distinction, i don't think he meant it to be pointed) when Bin Laden and gang bombed it in the 90's. I think that means the US Embassy is in or near that building and it was 1998, but he was loose on the particulars)

I had a decent night's sleep interrupted realizing that I had the time wrong and a knock at the door telling me that the bus was waiting for me and I had two mins. Packing at lightspeed, I made the bus and it proved to be the end of my travel despair.

What had been billed as a harrowing trip by bus to Arusha was nothing of the sort. Even Immigration was easy, though it it seemed to me to be one of the least sophisticated outposts on the planet.

I've arrived in Arusha and firmly in the hotel. The staff is super friendly and are taking me to get supplies in the morning before heading on to Karatu.

What strikes me most so far in this part of the trip, and overall, is just how amazing people are when you clearly need something. No words need to be exchanged, not ones that are understood at least, for common human decency to prevail. From the ladies in Istanbul, to the hotel manager offering to take me shopping. And everything in between. It is quite awesome. And, in my case, means the world.

Tomorrow a new adventure begins. I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting myself into. The way things are going, I think it'll be all right...



2 comments:

  1. gawky, white guy is right! sounds like a great adventure thus far. keep the posts coming parkey

    ReplyDelete

Music From the Trip