Sunday, October 21, 2012

Merhaba, Göreme


Despite enjoying my few days in Istanbul, I was finding myself pretty grumpy and wanting to get out of a city.  Some of it as the non-stop travel/sight-seeing, some of it was jet lag.  What I also realize is that after what was a month of nonstop time with friends and loved ones, I was also going through a bit of withdrawal.

Whatever funk there was has been quieted with a trip to Göreme, a town in the region of Cappadocia. 

I've spent the last three days hiking the valleys here and meeting new friends.  It is quite an amazing and serene place. 




"Fair Chimneys" - Pretty weird stuff around here...

I spent the first day hiking with Luca and Moreno, two fine gentlemen from Milan, Italy, that I was staying with.  We hiked the Rose and Red Valleys, meeting up with a Chilean guy, Sebastian, who is on his 9th month of a RTW, while on the trails.  It was a great way to kick of Cappadocia. 





That's Luca in the middle, with the funny English gent from next door

...and this is Moreno


The next day I met up with Freya, the Aussie I met in Istanbul, at the "CAVE" hostel we were both staying at and we went in search of the Zemi and Love Valleys, finding only Love Valley and then eventually Çavuşin.  (for a bit more information on both Istanbul and Cappadocia, historically speaking - Freya has done the heavy lifting that I did not.  Check out her post here)



Some of the "fairy chimneys" that the region is famous for...

Freya at the top of Çavuşin.  We climbed through homes and a church carved dating back to 950AD that were carved straight into the rock!

We returned for a "clay pot" dinner -- They cook the food in a sealed clay pot and then crack it open for you at the table. It's totally gimmicky, but the food was pretty good. 

I found Zemi Valley today and went in solo.  It was a comedy getting out of it, but I made it.


Now, I'm prepping to head to Olympos tonight.  I was going to do some more sightseeing over in Pamukkale and Ephesus, but I'm realizing that a little more down time is in store.  It'll be a long trek to Tanzania at the end of this week and 3+ hard, yet rewarding, weeks there.  


So, I'm going to take it easy.   I am in early retirement, after all. 


Until next time... 


Go Pats!

Some more Cappadocia - this time the Balloons!:



They take off at Sunrise...

Lots of them...

Well over a hundred, in fact. 

It was so cool to watch; I did it again this morning!












3 comments:

  1. Had soup dumplings and pork buns this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome!! Looking forward to the reports from TZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Parker - your mom gave me your blog info - what a fabulous trip you've begun. I hope you have a fabulous time - I'm going to be enviously following you.

    ReplyDelete

Music From the Trip