Friday, October 26, 2012

Tanzania Bound

Apologies for the back-to-back posts - I do greatly appreciate that so many of you seem to be reading this thing.

Today, I leave Turkey, after 11.5 great days, bound for a volunteering stint with the Tanzanian Children's Fund.

More specifically, I'll be spending the next month at the Rift Valley Children's Village.  It is a place where almost 100 orphaned children are given a loving home and a life of opportunity.

It is located in Northern Tanzania, near the Ngorongoro Conservation Area on the Kiran Coffee Estate in Oldeani Village, about 45 minutes outside of Karatu.  (Hopefully this means that they'll have good coffee.  I've been starved of it!) Here, roughly:




I'll be flying from Istanbul to Nairobi via Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Once in Nairobi, I'll spend the night and then take a bus across the border to Arusha and spend the night there.  I'll pick up some supplies that my current "home" wasn't able to accommodate and head to the village on the 29th via Karatu. 

I'm told that when I get there my days will run from 0615 to 1930.  I'll learn more once I get there about the ins and outs of each day, but the basic day has been outlined as follows: 
0615: Kids are up
0630 to 0700: Breakfast, where volunteers help with prep for the children in their respective houses.  
0800 to 1230: Most children are occupied either at school (Kindergarten and Standards 1- 7), preschool or playgroup. 
1230: Lunch
1300 to 1430: Naptime
1430p - 1630: PLAYTIME!! This time may be free play or organized play and is an ideal time for volunteers to just have fun with the kids: kick a soccer ball, paint some pictures, etc. Usually during this time, as well, a few children are individually being tutored by a volunteer.  
1630: Bath time begins.  With the help of the housemothers, student teachers and volunteers, every child has a bath and changes into clean clothes.  
1700: Snack Time, then Movie or Study time (depending on age) The older children have study time during movie time.
1830: DINNER
1930: Bedtime for the kids

Among other things, I'll be engaging with the children and exposing them to English (they speak Swahili and are learning English) through lessons, engaging in conversation, encouraging class participation.  I'll also be helping them with math skills (thankfully it won't be Calculus!) and participating in daily activities with them.   Oh, and I'll also share a house with them too. (more details on this to come...)

Volunteering has been a part of the fabric of this idea (the trip) since its inception.  I didn't think that the first opportunity to do it would happen so early in my trip, but I am beyond excited. 

At the risk of sounding trite, I know that I am an incredibly fortunate person and have been blessed with a lifetime of opportunity.  I am anxious to give back and will try my best to do so in whatever sized way that this opportunity may present. 

A big thank you to Natalie Davies for helping to make the connections that set this up. 

There is no internet in the Village, but they do encourage volunteers to head into town on Sundays where there is access. 

I'll check in from Arusha before I head out to tell you the story of the bus ride and border crossing.  Hopefully it isn't very interesting...

2 comments:

  1. We are faithfully following your blog in the Davies household and loving the chance to live vicariously through you. Can't wait to hear about Tanzania!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to this one. For whatever reason, they started going into junkmail. lame.
    Anyway. The Ngorongoro Crater was my MOST favorite place ever for a really long time. I've since heard that it has lost some of its magic. but still. If you have a chance, I hope you get to go. One of my dad's favorite stories when I was young(er than I am now), is when we drove out, and saw the crater behind us, I said "Dad, if there are unicorns, this is where they are."
    had to share. :)
    Loving your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Music From the Trip