Sunday, March 24, 2013

.0059 Leagues Under the Sea

“The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite. ” 
- Jules Verne



Koh Tao, Thailand - 

Busy times, so apologies for the long delay between posts (especially you, Billy).  I've been "under water".

No, for real.

I've been Scuba Diving to be exact, and it is AWESOME! (Despite the fact that I've spent the last several days doing nothing but reading several manuals, sitting in a classroom, doing homework and taking tests - both written and practical.  I'm exhausted, but it has been a great time)


I've swum with a Sea Turtle, through fields of anemones and in massive schools of Barracuda, Trevally and Queenfish.  I've seen Marlin and Nemo, a Giant Grouper the size of a Couch, hundreds of Angel and Butterfly Fish, as well as many more.   I've also dived at night. Below the surface in total darkness with nothing but a flashlight has to be one of the coolest things I've ever done.  And, I've now been .0059 leagues (32.6 meters / 107 feet) under the sea.


Pink Anemonefish (in the same family as Clownfish)

From 0 to 17 dives in a week or so will net you a pretty big haul of underwater creatures and adventures.   Add to that three certifications, including Rescue Diver (what can I say, my inner lifeguard wouldn't allow me to not get it) and I'm 1/3 of the way to being a Divemaster!  Surely if I had more time I would stay to do that course, but alas it is time to move on.

Before I left, I did manage to get a few dives in that didn't include passing some sort of underwater quiz or test (some more intense than others - particularly in the Rescue Course).  They were my favorite, because I could just be in the weird environment you enter once you descend below the surface.  Others say it must be what going into space must feel like.


I can concur it is like entering universe.  Stuff down there just doesn't look like what you see on the surface.  And now that I know what I've been missing, I can't imagine being above sea level for too long.

Longfin Bannerfish, with lots of suspended particles in the frame...

Not sure, maybe a type of Snapper?

Not sure on this one either...

Can you spot the Grouper?

Seriously guys and girls, I don't know what took me so long to do this.  Maybe it is because no one told me how awesome it was.  Maybe it was just the right time and place.  Either way, consider this your notice!


Blue Ringed Angelfish - The color underwater is so much brighter, but I did what I could with the camera I had.

Batfish - we saw ones 3x this size at Sail Rock

Butterflyfish

As you may know, the reefs may not be around forever as an effect of global warming and ocean acidification.  So, if you've ever wondered what life is like under the sea.  Get going,  you'll never regret or forget it!  It may not be around forever.


One more practical in the water this afternoon and a final exam are all that separates me from being a certified Rescue Diver.  Then, two fun dives tomorrow morning to wind it all down before heading up to Chiang Rai to cross over into Laos on the 28th (hopefully). 

So, almost time to say goodbye to Thailand.  But I'll enjoy the last couple of days while I can...

My sweet Seafro at a post dive debrief.  Not a bad place to learn all that I did wrong...

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Looks like visibility was great. I got my advanced open water after 7 dives in Sri Lanka but the weather was a little stormy so visibility was low. AWESOME wreck dive at 30-33m (S.S. Rangoon off Galle Fort)...Koh Tao was where I was going to dive last year before I wrecked on a moped and was too scraped up to dive! Congrats on the certification- that's a lot of diving and PADI books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vis was definitely pretty good the whole time. A couple of the days weren't so hot, so I really got to learn what to ask for/look for in a dive site.

      Sri Lanka definitely inspired me to get it, so maybe I will end up going back there.

      Where's your next diving experience?

      Delete

Music From the Trip