Saturday, March 16, 2013

Oh, Phi Phi




Well, Megan has shoved off back to the states (the leap is not one of excitement over the fact, just a fun memory of what was...).  Which means four things:
  1. Thailand’s fruit can come out of hiding.  (Seriously, I’ve never seen anyone eat so much fruit.)
  2. I won’t be given a flat tire every 17.3 seconds when walking.  (Good thing Raul at the Upper West Side EMS recommend the sturdy Chaco flip-flop for the trip.  They survived their toughest test so far!)
  3. This Cat is still horribly obese:

And fourth, I’m solo again…

It’s always better with a Partner in Crime and Megan was up to the task.  We had a helluva Thailand adventure. 

Before Megan had to go back to reality, we spent the last couple days in Koh Phi Phi.  In addition to a healthy dose of (more) relaxation, we did take a boat around the area in search of Nemo and to hang out in the bays of Phi Phi Leh.  As impressive as the pictures may be, the Limestone cliffs and hidden bays are even more amazing up close in a tiny boat.

The GoPro could use a bit better underwater quality, but you'll get the idea that there were a TON of fish for us to see and follow around.  No Nemo though, just some Gills and Dorys. 




Phi Phi was hit pretty hard in the Tsunami of ’04, but there were few signs of that 9 years later.  A few hotels (including ours) are still building, but Ton Sai village (the main town) is fully open to service the glut of tourists pouring off the ferries daily.   

Luckily, we stayed out of the fray on Long Beach with the best views of my trip so far!

 The view from the Lanai

But, like most good things, it had to come to an end. 


Megs headed for Bangkok to fly home and I headed West to Koh Tao to get my SCUBA certification.  I’ll be here for the next 6 days going through a series of class days and qualification dives.

I also be sorting out what I’m doing between the end of the course and when my Mom comes to let her freak flag fly with me in Vietnam and Cambodia. 

Those interim plans are small peanuts compared to Big Judy in Asia. 

Pray for us all…

Just kidding.  Looking forward to it, Mom.

1 comment:

  1. "Big Judy" will be a bit smaller when you see her. I will be as lean and ready as I can be. I am up for whatever you hand me sweet boy. I am bringing a BIG bottle of Aleve and will enjoy any pain and soreness that comes from seeing a country from a different view. So, BRING IT ON!!! I promise to be a good travel companion.

    ReplyDelete

Music From the Trip