Saturday, March 9, 2013

I'm walking around like a sore cowboy today

because of my Elephant riding yesterday, but I digress...


I was able to recapture some of the photos that I stupidly deleted from my camera and just wanted to share the slice of Bangkok, the Floating Market Life and the Wats of Chiang Mai.  

It was your standard sight-seeing mission.  The Buddhist Temples, called Wats for those who don't know, here are much more ornate and colorful than their counterparts that I saw in India or Sri Lanka.  Now, I need to look into why!

The Grand Palace

The Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho

Temple of the Dawn

A Wat in Chiang Mai. 

Doi Suthep in the hills above Chiang Mai

And they all have the oddest array of Statue-as-Guards.





 I posted some more to the Tumblr if you want to check them out!

After exploring Bangkok's sites, we went out to the Floating Market.


While it is definitely a tourist trap, it was cool to imagine what life was like on the canals years ago.  And the highlight, for me at least (Megan reluctantly ate a few bites), was to eat food purchased from canoe to canoe.   We had a couple delicious dishes before we ventured back to the city.   Was nice to escape the city for a few hours to see a different slice of life!





I know loads of people who have been here before, so it has been cool to see what all the fuss is about.  We definitely enjoyed wandering around, eating in the markets/street stalls (occasionally).  But, eventually we got Wat'd out, and just wandered.  Chiang Mai a much more laid back version of that than in Bangkok.

Based on the amount of people I know who have been here before, I should've realized that we'd run into a fair amount of Americans.  But, I'm still surprised that it has been quite so many.  (Roughly 15-20 of them vs. the 2 or 3 I had met on the trip to date (RVCV notwithstanding).  It's weird some times.

In other news, we made it Railay this afternoon and went swimming under the Limestone outcroppings.  More Pictures to follow, it's pretty stunning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip