Sunday, March 31, 2013

From the Muddy Banks of the Mekong...


Happy Easter from Luang Prabang!

It's the last day of March and my Bracket is absolutely demolished and I'm missing Opening Day for the first time in my life.

In my defense, it isn't like I was really following College Basketball this year! (not that it would've mattered)

Nevertheless, the two-day trip down the Mekong was worth missing my favorite sporting events of the year, even if it was a pretty uneventful trip.   And, I can't say the Yanks are looking much better than my bracket at the moment, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll get to see a meaningful game once I make it fully around the globe (and that they beat the Sox tomorrow). 

Here's some pics of the Mekong.  It was beautiful, but as I said in the last post it is pretty gray and hazy given the time of year.  It was nice to travel with two of the folks I met on the Gibbon Experience too. Definitely made it a smoother journey. 

The View from Pakbeng

The pictures won't do it proper justice.  That said, it is the dry season and it was cool to see the water so low.  It gives a better sense of the river bed and the silt deposits that the locals use to plant crops at this time of year.  (I think I'm liking the low water periods now after having experienced the same at Victoria Falls.  It is just so much cooler when you can see what the water hides.)


It was as uneventful as a long river trip can be, but the boat was equipped with minivan bench seats for comfort (though the fact that they aren't bolted down leads to some amusing moments) on the 16 hours of total river time, and the occasional town/group of huts with children playing out front popped up to break up the Mountains and River.  And, even better, it gave me time to read a couple books and get further into the behemoth that is Nixonland.   

Villages are sometimes up on the bluffs... 

And other times right on the banks of the river...

The Restaurant we ate dinner at.  The Wife was a great cook!  The translations of food and the welcoming signs always give me a good chuckle.  I think I have seen Spaghetti spelled 15 different ways on this trip so far.  I really want to know what is no longer being offered though...

Sunset over the Mekong (sorta)...



The locals were panning for something, but I've yet to figure out just what it is yet.  Stay tuned.

That's all for now.  I'll be in LPB (ha!) for the next couple days seeing what's good and figuring out how to get to Vietnam now that I have to fly there vs. the planned border crossing by land.  Changes the plans a bit, but should be a thrilling time figuring it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music From the Trip