Saturday, April 13, 2013

Goooooooood Morning, (from) Vietnam!

I've officially entered my 7th month of this journey, my 13th country, my 28th flight, my 300th (or so) beer, my 183rd day, the +9000th page view from you guys....

But, enough of all that.  Judy is here!

Before I left, I told my Mother that she could choose anywhere on my trip to meet me and I'd bring here there.

She chose Vietnam (with a side trip to Cambodia thrown in).  And now she's here.  It very was important to her to come here.  I can't imagine what this place means to her and to folks of that generation.

For me, I'm still soaking it in.  Ho Chi Minh has all the makings of a modern City and getting more so.

Two nights ago, I had dinner with an old buddy from New York who lives and works here now.   It's all so... well, normal.  All things considered.

Today, we spent the day reliving and reflecting on the past in various museums and sights of HCMC. Because it's not quite so easy, of course.


Inside the Reunification Palace

The list of things that cannot be brought into the Palace.  I absolutely hate leaving my mines...

While I'm no longer draft age, it's the words of a friend who visited here when we were Freshman in College that still resonate with me as I walked around this city.  To paraphrase his thoughts - 40 years ago coming here meant something completely different to a young man.  More likely you weren't going to come back the same person, if you came back at all.

Whether it be by choice or by draft, I can't imagine what went through the minds of the service people who touched down here 40 years ago.   I can't imagine the courage it took to acquiesce to that duty.  Or, conversely, the courage to protest it either.

We're still grappling with the courage to admit and make good on the damage that was done here.   None more apparent than viewing the exhibits in the War Remnants Museum here.  And, while I'm not the first, or most knowledgable person to say it, it seems to me that we lost a lot more that the ~58K service members as a result of our involvement.

But, I'll pause on that before the tangent grows.  Certainly, we'll keep on learning/immersing.  But we're also going to have some fun.  I mean, just this morning, I helped my mom realize something every one dreams of - being a Millionaire.

First she was all like:


Then, the inevitable downfall, where she was all like:


I had to tell her it was only Vietnamese Currency, and it totals less than $200 USD (I can't do everything for this woman, geez), and she mellowed out.  Things got a little scary there for a second though, but any Gangster that wears pink isn't really one to be worried about anyway...




1 comment:

Music From the Trip